Reflecting ceramic plate, hand-painted with polychrome decoration and central character dressed in Renaissance costume. Stamped on the back of the plate : \"SCU\" ( Umbrian Ceramic Company) and the initials of the ceramist Paolo Rubboli di Gualdo Tadino (PG) which was used by his successors from 1920 to 1931. These so-called wall plates were in actual fact displayed on sideborads during the Renaissance, showing the noble rank and heraldic coat of arms or the depiction of an important person. In Italy, the decoration with metallic reflection, \" a riverbero\", was introduced for the first time by certain ceramists one of whom Mastro Giorgio da Gubbio stands out. During the 17th century this technique disappeared and it was only in 1873 that it was re-introduced by the ceramist Paolo Rubboli ( 1838-1890). After his death, the tradition was continued by his widow Daria Vecchi and sons Lorenzo and Alberto, who joined the Umbrian Ceramic Company in 1920. Thanks to this alliance, their production was exported all over the world, in particular to the United States until 1936. Some of their work is exhibited in the Museum of Valencia and the Mew York Metropolitan.
Look for wall plate 1 in our online shop